Equitable Trade Rules
The Fair Trade movement believes in the role of quality trade to lift marginalised producers and workers in the South out of poverty. There are a large number of policy changes that the EU could introduce to contribute to fairer North-South trade rules. Protectionist arguments should not be used to put barriers to the trickle-down benefits that increased EU market access can bring for marginalised producers and workers in the South. To begin with, the EU internal policies should not have a negative impact on Southern countries´ ability to foster South-South trade, right to food and food security.
The FTAO works on a number of issues to help promote equitable trade rules:
- Link between Trade and Development
- Alternative Trade Mandate
- Public Procurement Reciprocity Initiative
- WTO Bali package: A giant step for the WTO, a small step for Fair Trade
- Over 50 civil society groups demand a paradigm shift in EU trade and investment policies