The Vote4FT campaign´s final results: 118 out of 512 candidates who signed the Fair Trade Manifesto are now Members of the newly elected European Parliament.
The after-elections update: find out how many candidates who signed the Fair Trade Manifesto have been elected in the next European Parliament on the following interactive map.
The Vote for Fair Trade campaign has brought Fair Trade organisations from around Europe to advocate together for Fair Trade to be included in the policy agenda of the European Union, asking candidates running for the European Parliament´s elections to sign the Fair Trade Manifesto, committing to five main demands. If elected Members of the European Parliament for the 2014-2019 legislative term, the candidates pledged to:
- Promote a people-centred economy and people-centred businesses where people come first and economic activities support sustainable livelihoods for all.
- Back a strong European framework to address abuses of buyer power in our supply chains, a market failure that often results in the violation of human rights of marginalised producers and workers.
- Encourage market-based incentives to facilitate producers having the possibility to trade under Fair Trade conditions and the development of Fair Trade markets both in Europe and the South, in the context of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals Framework post-2015.
- Support an “Alternative Trade Mandate” to ensure that EU trade policy serves as a tool to increase economic, social and environmental well-being globally. In order to serve the general interest, trade policy should be subject to democratic and transparent debate, rather than being driven by powerful business lobbies pushing behind doors their specific short-term interests.
- Become a champion for a European strategy for Fair Trade to promote best practices and coordinate local, regional, national and EU-level activities in support of Fair Trade, as already asked for unanimously by the Committee of the Regions.
The campaign collected 512 candidates´ signatures, and 118 out of them were elected Members of the new European Parliament for the term 2014-2019. We heartily thank the campaigners who took action and the candidates who pledged to the Fair Trade Manifesto, congratulating with the ones who have been elected.
The Fair Trade movement will be working with the newly elected MEPs to make sure the commitments made during the elections are transformed into actual policy changes.
For more information on the Vote4FT campaign, click here.